The path of remembrance

Print

Trarego, Promé, La cascata, Trarego

Duration: h. 1.00 Difficulty: ES
cippo-martiri
From the Town Hall in Trarego (778 m) take the Via Passo Piazza, that leads to the end of the village, on the way passing the hotel "La Perla" on the right, and arriving to the area called Sasèe. On top of the path there is a panoramic view of Trarego, Cheglio and the lake that is worth a pause to see before entering the deciduous forest, made up of mainly chestnut and oak trees. After a few meters there is a signpost for ANPI, on the left-hand side, leading to a dirt track. Continue on the path until the region Visiè that has a romantic bridge crossing over the creek Piumesc. The water of the stream was used in the past to fuel the mills for grain processing, which are now reduced to ruins. Follow the trail that descends to the left and in a few hundred meters there is a curve with the deviation that leads to the fenced in monument for the massacre of the “Volante Cucciolo”.
As in other places in the mountains, in September 1944 the partisan bands were forced to hide in the mountains to escape the Nazi-fascist army. From there they could continue their resistance. In February 1945 the commander of the resistance sent one of these partisan bands, called the “Volante Cucciolo”, to the area of Trarego to carry out some actions. Here they were intercepted by the troops of the fascist Border Police. Seven of the nine young partisans and two civilians were, not only killed, but brutally murdered and massacred. The same fate also happened in the following days to a tenth partisan whose tombstone is located on the trail to Cannero.
Continuing back onto the trail and arrive at the Promè (700 m), a hamlet of Trarego Viggiona which was permanently inhabited until the 80s. From 2005 to 2014 there was the community house called "Casa San Michele" which was active in the social rehabilitation of children and young people. They were slowly recovering the ancient agro-pastoral activities that had been virtually abandoned for decades.


The route continues now left on a comfortable dirt road dug into the steep slope at the end of the 50s, during a time when the village was still densely populated. The sound of water announces the nearness of the Waterfall (the height of about 60 meters). During the construction of the trail in 1959 a statue of the Madonna was laid in a niche half way up the waterfall.
The waters of this stream have been used in the early 1900s for the production of electricity: the village of Trarego had electricity prior to the town of Luino that is across the lake. The pioneer of this work was Vittore Meda. The ruins of the hydropower plant are located deep in the bush at the foot of the rocks beneath the waterfall. To search for these ruins is absolutely not recommended as it is dangerous. As the plant was dismantled, there are only few traces remaining.
From the waterfall the trail is replaced by a road which had been literally carved into the bare rock. Above are the abandoned ancient small stone huts or stalls. The ascent suddenly gives way to the "plain" hay meadows. From here follow the path that winds up towards the public parking place called Crosai which is at the end of the village of Trarego.