Trarego

Print

panorama-trarego
Trarego (771 m) is the capital and seat of the Municipality.
The village of Trarego is characterized by narrow streets and steps paved with stone that create corners, old houses and refurbished villas overlook the green and flat countryside below.
The valley has joined him, crossed by the river Cannero, is one bush that thins at the top leaving room for pastures and clusters of huts.
A Trarego are several buildings of industrial architecture, as mills for grinding cereals, dairy and a primitive social hydroelectric plant that in the early twentieth century produced the energy needed to light up the town's streets and homes.
The beautiful parish church dedicated to St. Martin was built in 1635 on a pre-fourteenth century.

A curious history of the parish of Trarego is its bell tower that until a few years ago there was not as demolished in 1967 because it was unsafe. The old bell tower was raised in 1785 when a group of expats in Turin won the first prize in a lottery with a ticket purchased with the savings and common intention to use any winnings in favor of their parish of origin. In those days, a millionaire figure: 30,000 pounds of Piedmont.
After this success, however, believed to be able to keep for themselves a part of the sum. We have had an actual court case at the end of which the court decided to award 23,500 lire to the village church and the remaining players. The sum collected was used for various restoration works including that of the bell tower, which was built and has a clock, because in the meantime Viggiona they had built a very impressive with the new church. But over the years, due to the elevation that had burdened excessively structure, the tower began to lean dramatically just in the direction of the town and in 1967 it was ordered demolition. There were some heated debates.
It was the new pastor Don Eraldo De Agostini efforts to fulfill the desire of many trareghesi to regain their bell. They sought old photos and the architect Pierluigi Chiovini created the project as possible identical to the original, which was then carried out with the help of local authorities and private associations. Of particular beauty are the steps in stone and panoramic rooftop views, the countryside and the lake that can be seen from the churchyard.
san-martinopiana-di-trarego














Trarego Viggiona and have always had a close relationship with Milan, belonged for centuries to the Duchy of Lombardy. For this reason, the parish of Trarego still preserves the ancient Ambrosian rite as other places in the parish of Cannobio.
At one time there were many shops and artisans operating in the country: there were shoemakers, carpenters, the barber, the baker, the butcher, grocery stores edible and a shop. Unfortunately, modern times have led to the slow extinction of the retail trade of small countries in favor of the large cities. Among Trarego Cheglio and are today one grocery store that meets all the needs of residents. On Wednesday morning there is also a small market.
A number of features of stay: although still one hotel in operation, you can stay in bed & breakfast and private apartments.