The village of Viggiona (686 m) is very old and its history is intertwined with that of the oldest parishes of the Parish of Cannobio. It rises on a vast plateau moraine of the last glaciation, sheltered from the north wind, with a view extending beyond the end of the lake and to Switzerland.
Viggiona had a large population, about 900 souls, until the mid-nineteenth century. The inhabitants migrated in search of gain as innkeepers, bakers and merchants.
It has a magnificent baroque parish church of the late seventeenth century, dedicated to Saint Maurice which contains precious antique vestments embroidered in gold, a pulpit in 1618, by brothers Zampatini, local carvers, the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary and a wooden crucifix important.
The most famous church, however, is the cemetery, the "Old Church", Romanesque building was consecrated in 1942 and declared a national monument, which is connected to the new Baroque parish by a modern Way of the Cross built in the sixties by the students of the Art Academy in Stuttgart . Although no longer used in the Old Church preserves important art treasures and ancient frescoes, including a Crucifixion of 1430.
Always Viggiona is the oratory of Our Lady of Grace, called "country", built around 1535 on the site of a former chapel which still stands as the fresco of the Madonna Enthroned nursing the Child dated 1504.

Within Viggiona are two popular restaurants, a garni, a club with bowling green, tennis court and a local grocery store. There are numerous possibilities for accommodation in the hotel rooms and holiday apartments.
The presence of German tourist is among the most intense, with over three hundred villas in the surrounding woods and fell on the side that faces the lake. The construction sector is still expanding.
From Viggiona you can get to Cannobio taking the old mule track to the left of the Cemetery. It 'a comfortable and relaxing hour walk downhill through the woods. On a rock engraved find a skull with a strong warning "Always t'aspeto." It tells the story of a dismal offense and the subsequent revenge announced murderer. But maybe it's just a legend flourished in the popular imagination.
Note that the territory of the municipality down to a few hundred meters from the shore of the lake.
Along the trail is one of the three sinks in the country that was used especially in the winter because the waters were less cold than others. A second old wash house, now demolished, was located along the path that leads down to Carmine and a third of more recent, is at the top of the slope that leads to the Piazza Easters a manor house of the Virgin Mary overlooking the town of Viggiona from where you can enjoy a splendid view of the town and the lake.